When it comes to dryer fires in the home, an alarming number are started from the washer or dryer units. Dryers are more often the culprit in these events, be it somewhere within the device itself or even through your dryer venting system leading out of your home. But, dryer fire prevention for your Chanhassen home is essential and even simple. The first step is to know the facts.
Facts from NFPA: Fire Protection Association Fact Sheet dated June 2017 and the U.S. Fire Administration:
- U.S. municipal fire departments responded to an estimated 15,970 home fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines. These fires resulted in annual losses estimated at $238 million in direct property damage causing 13 civilian deaths and 440 injuries.
- Dryers caused 92% of fires involving washers and dryers.
- The leading items first ignited in clothes dryer fires were dust, fiber, or lint (27%).
- The leading cause (31%) of home clothes dryer and washer fires were failure to clean.
- More home clothes dryer fires occur in the fall and winter months, peaking in January.
And, this is just the beginning! There is an entire report and information on dryer fire prevention and statistics from the NFPA that you can read. Start taking the steps towards a safer drying experience! Help ensure dryer fire prevention with these essential steps:
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum.
- Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
- Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
- Turn the dryer off if you leave home or go to bed.
- Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted.
- Use code-compliant venting material to reduce the risk of fire.
And, these are just some of the fire prevention measures you can take to help keep your home safe! Dryer Vent Wizard is your source for professional dryer vent cleaning and inspection. Our dryer vent cleaning service utilizes a system of professional tools and processes that removes clogs, reducing the risks of dryer fires and even health issues.
Contact Us or call us today at 651-792-5626 to learn more about dryer fire prevention in Chanhassen and the surrounding areas.