As a dryer vent cleaning company near Chanhassen, we often see dryer vents that are quite clogged by lint and other debris, and we know firsthand just how dangerous those types of dryer vents are to the house’s occupants and their safety and well-being. That is why we always say that “a clean dryer vent is a safe dryer vent.”
There are a few ways you can help decrease the amount of build-up in your dryer vents and hoses. Here are a few tips.
- Be sure to limit how many dryer sheets you use in the dryer or how much liquid fabric softener you use in the washing machine. The dryer sheets can add residue to your lint filter, and that can cause the filter to clog faster than it normally would. And liquid fabric softener can cause fabrics to become flammable in the dryer thanks to the build-up of oil and other chemicals on them.
- You should only use your dryer for 30 to 40 minutes per load of laundry. That way, air can circulate through the machine better and there will be less lint build-up overall. If your clothes need more than 40 minutes to fully dry, you need to call a dryer vent cleaning company like Dryer Vent Wizard because this could be a sign that your dryer vents should be cleaned as soon as possible.
- If you can, hang up heavier clothing or other items to dry, like heavy bedding and pillows. These large items can greatly contribute to the build-up of lint and other debris, and you will have to call a dryer vent cleaning company sooner than later for their cleaning services.
- After each load of clothing, make sure you thoroughly clean in and around the lint trap. You can also use a shop vac to vacuum up the bits of lint and debris that can build up in and around the lint trap.
- The outside ventilation opening should always have the proper cap on it to keep out critters but to still allow the hot air and bits of lint and debris to blow out.
- Make sure you call a dryer vent cleaning company at least once a year to come out and professionally clean your dryer vents.
For more information on our dryer vent cleaning company near Chanhassen, call Dryer Vent Wizard at 651-792-5626, or you can Contact Us.
Clogged dryer vents and hoses can increase the possibility of a dryer fire. Not only that, clogged vents and hoses also make it more difficult for your dryer to do its job. And that could result in you spending more on your electric bill than you should. You might even end up needing to buy a whole new dryer when your old one would’ve lasted you for a few more years with the right kind of care and attention. As a dryer cleaning service in Plymouth and the surrounding areas, we help many homeowners like you make sure your dryers are safe to use. So we thought we would share some statistics about dryer fires and just how deadly they can be.
- According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), in 2010, there were about 16,800 reported home fires in the United States that involved dryers or washing machines. These resulted in 51 civilian deaths, 380 civilian injuries and about $236 million in property damage.
- Out of those fires, dryers were the cause of about 92% of those fires. Washing machines accounted for 4% and washer-dryer combos accounted for the remaining 4%.
- And when it comes to these dryer fires, the main reason (32%) for them was because the dryers were not properly cleaned. The second reason for these fires was an unclassified mechanical malfunction (22%).
- The NFPA has several suggestions for homeowners to reduce the risk of a dryer fire. The organization recommends that you get your dryer cleaned on a regular basis by a professional dryer cleaning service. They also say you should make sure your dryer hoses are made out of the right material, you should never use your dryer without a clean filter in place and that the filter should be cleaned after each load of clothing.
- Homeowners should also take care to not overload their dryers. And if a burning smell is noticed that can be traced back to the dryer, the dryer needs to be turned off immediately and serviced by a professional dryer cleaning service like Dryer Vent Wizard.
These are just a few of the most significant statistics about dryer fires and the importance of hiring a dryer cleaning service like ours to come out and inspect your dryer hoses and vents on a regular basis.
Do you need a professional dryer cleaning service in Plymouth? Call Dryer Vent Wizard at 651-792-5626, or you can contact us to Request Service.
We say this a lot, but it is true: a clean dryer vent is a safe dryer vent. Clean dryer vents help to decrease the risk of a dryer fire, and there are plenty of other benefits of calling a dryer vents cleaning service to your Edina home. But are you aware of some of the biggest tell-tale signs that you need to have your dryer vents cleaned? Here are a few red flags that it’s time to call in professionals like us for dryer vents cleaning.
- When you put your clothes in the dryer, how long do they take to fully dry? Do they take more than one cycle? A dryer’s most basic function is to push hot and moist air out of the dryer and through the hose and vent so your clothes can dry. But when the dryer vent is blocked by lint, that air has nowhere to go, so it stays in your dryer and your clothes stay damp. Not only that, but this also causes your dryer to have to work even harder. That puts more wear and tear on the machine, and it can shorten your dryer’s life span.
- After your dryer is done running, are you noticing that your clothes and the dryer itself are hot to the touch? Sure, typically both will be warm right after the dryer is done running. But if both are very hot to the touch, this is a good warning sign that you need to look into dryer vents cleaning. This problem can also shorten the life span of your dryer as well.
- If your dryer is running, do you ever notice a burning smell? If so, stop using it immediately. This is yet another sure sign that dryer vents cleaning needs to be done as soon as possible. The smell could be a result of the lint build-up in the hose or vent, and that lint could be igniting or smoldering. It is definitely in your best interest to call in the professionals to make sure your dryer, dryer vent and dryer hose are all safe to use.
- When was the last time you had your dryer vents inspected and cleaned? If it’s been longer than a year, it is time to give us a call to schedule your dryer vents cleaning.
If you would like to learn more about dryer vents cleaning in Edina, call Dryer Vent Wizard at 651-792-5626 or contact us to Request Service.
If you just had a new dryer installed, you want to be sure that your dryer vents are venting the air out of your dryer safely and correctly. As a dryer vent cleaning service serving Woodbury and the surrounding areas, we have seen our share of dryer vents that were not installed correctly. So what are some things you should look out for? Here are a few tips.
- Make sure your dryer hoses are at least four inches in diameter.
- The transition hose between your dryer and the wall outlet should be made out of aluminum. Plastic or vinyl should not be used.
- Ducting that is concealed should be made out of rigid metal. The maximum length of your ducting is usually stipulated by local building codes.
- When you need to secure joints, use metal tape. Do not use duct tape or masking tape. Over time, the adhesive on this type of tape will deteriorate and create holes.
- Your dryer vents should not vent out through your chimney or other exhaust vents. It should be independent of any other exhaust system.
- Dryer vent hoses should not have any kinks in them. Check them regularly to make sure they haven’t accidentally been crushed either.
- After the installation process is complete, be sure to regularly inspect your dryer vents and dryer hose. If you notice any birds nesting in the outside portion of the dryer vent or if you notice that lint is building up in the hose, call our dryer vent cleaning service to come out and take a look. We can clean the vents and hose and make any necessary repairs.
- You should also call our dryer vent cleaning service for regular cleanings. We can come to your home, clean out the vents and make sure everything is still in good working order. Regular dryer vent cleanings can help your dryer run more efficiently and they can actually help increase the life span of your dryer. You could also see some savings on your electric bill.
We hope you learned a few things about how to make sure your dryer vents are venting safely. If you have any questions, call our dryer vent cleaning service!
Do you need a professional and reliable dryer vent cleaning service in Woodbury? Call us at Dryer Vent Wizard at 651-792-5626 or you can contact us to Request Service.
As a dryer vent cleaning company in the St Paul area, we often see the same issues with dryer vents and hoses. Here is a brief rundown of the common repairs and issues we fix for our clients and the ways you can avoid these problems yourself.
- Your dryer vents should be made out of a rigid metal material, not plastic, foil or PVC piping. If your dryer vent is made out of anything but metal, this can increase the risk of a dryer fire. For example, PVC and plastic can cause static, which can then cause the dryer lint to stick to the inside of the vent’s walls. The lint then mixes with the water that is expelled from the dryer during the drying process. And that can create a sludge mixture that can increase the risk of a fire starting. Plus, PVC “sweats” and that can cause lint to collect and harden. So when our dryer vent cleaning company comes to clean your dryer vents, it’s that much harder to get them clean.
- Never use duct tape to connect venting materials and never use bolts or screws to secure joints on your dryer vents and hoses. The adhesive on duct tape dries out and that can create gaps in the joints. Lint can collect on bolts and screws, and that can also increase the risk of a dryer fire starting.
- Your dryer vents should always end outside. They should never terminate in an attic or crawl space. If dryer vents terminate anywhere but outside, that can lead to mold and mildew growth. And that, in turn, can pose a health hazard to you and your family members. Our dryer vent cleaning company can help if you realize your dryer vents turn or terminate in your attic crawl space, garage or basement.
- If you are worried about pests, animals and other critters entering your dryer vent, give our dryer vent cleaning company a call. We can come out and take the necessary steps to ensure your dryer vents are protected from these unwanted visitors.
- Always keep an eye out for the signs that you need to call our dryer vent cleaning company for cleaning or repair services. Some signs include a musty smell on your clothes after they’ve been through your dryer, an increase in the amount of time it takes for your dryer to dry your clothes, an increase in your utility bills and a dryer that is hot to the touch after it’s been in use.
Do you need a reliable dryer vent cleaning company in St Paul? Call Dryer Vent Wizard at 651-792-5626, or you can contact us and Request Service.