Clogged dryer vents and hoses can increase the possibility of a dryer fire. Not only that, clogged vents and hoses also make it more difficult for your dryer to do its job. And that could result in you spending more on your electric bill than you should. You might even end up needing to buy a whole new dryer when your old one would’ve lasted you for a few more years with the right kind of care and attention. As a dryer cleaning service in Plymouth and the surrounding areas, we help many homeowners like you make sure your dryers are safe to use. So we thought we would share some statistics about dryer fires and just how deadly they can be.
- According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), in 2010, there were about 16,800 reported home fires in the United States that involved dryers or washing machines. These resulted in 51 civilian deaths, 380 civilian injuries and about $236 million in property damage.
- Out of those fires, dryers were the cause of about 92% of those fires. Washing machines accounted for 4% and washer-dryer combos accounted for the remaining 4%.
- And when it comes to these dryer fires, the main reason (32%) for them was because the dryers were not properly cleaned. The second reason for these fires was an unclassified mechanical malfunction (22%).
- The NFPA has several suggestions for homeowners to reduce the risk of a dryer fire. The organization recommends that you get your dryer cleaned on a regular basis by a professional dryer cleaning service. They also say you should make sure your dryer hoses are made out of the right material, you should never use your dryer without a clean filter in place and that the filter should be cleaned after each load of clothing.
- Homeowners should also take care to not overload their dryers. And if a burning smell is noticed that can be traced back to the dryer, the dryer needs to be turned off immediately and serviced by a professional dryer cleaning service like Dryer Vent Wizard.
These are just a few of the most significant statistics about dryer fires and the importance of hiring a dryer cleaning service like ours to come out and inspect your dryer hoses and vents on a regular basis.
Do you need a professional dryer cleaning service in Plymouth? Call Dryer Vent Wizard at 651-792-5626, or you can contact us to Request Service.