An alarming amount of fires in the home, potentially your Cottage Grove home, are started between the functionality, or lack thereof between your washer and dryer units. Dryers are substantially more often the culprit in these events, be it somewhere within the device itself or even through your dryer venting system leading out of your home. Dryer fire prevention is easy. You just have to spend a little time getting to know it.
The National Fire Protection Association conducted a study in 2010 that illustrated some startling numbers. The NFPA Executive Summary shows reason for concern:
16,800 reported U.S. non-confined or confined home structure fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines (including combination washer/dryers) resulted in…
o 51 civilian deaths
o 380 civilian injuries
o $236 million in direct property damage
o 4.5% of all reported home structure fires
o 1.9% of associated civilian deaths
o 2.8% of associated civilian injuries
o 3.1% of associated direct property damage
The following safety tips, offered by the NFPA, will help ensure dryer fire prevention:
• Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
• Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
• Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum.
• Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time.
• Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry, clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
• Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
• Make sure the right plug and outlet are used and that the machine is connected properly.
• Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and don’t overload your dryer.
• Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.
Dryer Vent Wizard is your source for professional dryer vent cleaning. Our dryer vent cleaning service utilizes a system of professional tools and processes that removes clogs, resulting in improved dryer efficiency, reducing the risks of dryer fires and potential health issues.
Contact Us or call us today at 651-792-5626 to learn more about dryer fire prevention in Cottage Grove and surrounding areas.