We recommend you get your dryer vents professionally cleaned every two to three years by a professional dryer vent cleaning service like ours. After all, dryer fire prevention at your Woodbury home is a very important part of keeping you and your family safe. In between our visits, there are a few things you can do to clean your dryer vents and to help with dryer fire prevention.
- If you have an electric dryer, make sure it is unplugged. If you have a gas dryer, be sure the gas line to the dryer is shut off.
- Pull your dryer a few feet away from the wall. Using a screwdriver, loosen the clamp that holds the dryer hose to the wall then slide the hose out.
- Reach into the hole with your hands and pull out as much lint as you can reach. You can also use a shop vac if you have one to suck out the lint and other debris.
- Then you should do the same with the dryer hose itself. Reach it and pull out what you can and use a shop vac for the rest. Keep in mind that most of the lint will usually build up at each end of the hose.
- Slide the clamp over the dryer vent and reattach it to the wall, and then slide the dryer back into place near the wall.
- Then go outside and clean the outside exit of your dryer vent if you can safely reach it. Detach the vent covering and reach in and scoop out the lint and debris you can easily reach. Your shop vac could work here as well.
- Look into the vent to make sure you didn’t miss anything, and then reattach the cover. It might need to be recaulked, so make sure you have a caulking gun if need be.
Please keep in mind that cleaning your dryer vents on your own should not be a substitute for calling on us for professional dryer vent cleaning every couple of years. The cleaning you do will definitely help keep your dryer vents from getting dangerously clogged, but our team has the right tools and equipment to get your dryer vents clean, even in the hard to reach areas that your hands or shop vac cannot reach.
Are you interested in learning more about dryer fire prevention in Woodbury? Call Dryer Vent Wizard at 651-792-5626 or you can contact us and Request Service.