The first day of fall is September 22nd. Have you prepared your home yet? Here in Minnesota, we are already beginning to feel the first chills of autumn; so get your home ready for the cold season ahead by ticking off these essential home-care to-dos. And, when you reach #2 and require professional dryer vent cleaning services for your White Bear Lake area home, don’t hesitate to call the experts at Dryer Vent Wizard.
1. Turn off AC/Remove units. One of the first signs it’s actually autumn is when the AC gets turned off for good. If you use window units, now is the time to either remove them or cover them outside with protective insulation. Removing them is the better option because this will allow you to close the windows, minimizing winter heat loss. If you choose to leave them in, be sure to pick up insulating covers made for this purpose and securely attach them outside.
2. Washer and dryer maintenance. Dryer vent cleaning is an important part of cold weather preparation as dryers are more susceptible to fire when the air is cold and dry. The colder months also bring with them bulkier clothing and blankets, requiring your dryer to work overtime. A clean dryer vent will help your machine work more efficiently and reduce the risk of fire. Contact us for trusted, dependable dryer vent cleaning services! Dryer vent cleaning services should be performed at least once a year. And, when we come to your home to perform this service, we can also inspect your dryer vents and hose to make sure there is no damage to them.
3. Retain heat and stop drafts with weatherstripping. While newer double-paned windows likely won’t require any weather stripping, older single-pained windows will. Check areas with previously applied weatherstripping and remove or replace as needed.
4. Roof & gutter inspection. The leaves are about to fall! So before they do, have your gutters and roof inspected or give these areas a quick visual inspection yourself. Pull out any sticks or other debris and make note of any worn-out seals. If you do not feel comfortable on a ladder, or have a home of two or more stories, contact professionals to do a quick inspection for you. Schedule any needed repairs now so that your home will be ready for the first snowflake.
5. Chimney & furnace maintenance. What is the most important element to ensuring a cozy home all winter? Heat. Ensure your fireplace and heating system are clean, safe and ready to go by having a pro look at them now.
And, having your chimney cleaned will help make sure you won’t start a fire if an old nest is inside. If you don’t have a chimney cap yet, speak with your chimney cleaning company about adding a one.
6. Insulation inspection/installation. Are your heating costs higher than you’d like them to be? You may want to think about adding insulation to your attic or other areas of your home. This can make a huge difference in how well your house retains heat in winter and stays cool in the summer.
These are just some of the important tasks to check off your to-do list this September. So, when you’re ready to start checking them off, contact us about dryer vent cleaning services serving White Bear Lake. Call Dryer Vent Wizard at 651-792-5626 or contact us and Request Service.